The S.S. Yongala Wreck
The S.S. Yongala Wreck is rated among the Top 10 Wreck Dives in the world! The Wreck is situated in the World Heritage listed Great Barrier Reef Marine Park and is protected under the Historic Shipwreck Act (1976). The artifacts, marine life and variety of corals that cover the wreck are simply spectacular.
The 110m S.S. Yongala sank during a cyclone on March 23rd, 1911 with the loss of all 122 people aboard. It was not until 1958 that the wreck was first dived and due to its remote location it has remained mostly untouched. The wreck begins 15m below the surface and extends to 29m. Since it is the only large reef structure in the region, the marine life gathers at the wreck creating Australia’s BEST dive site. Everything on this wreck is big- Big Fish, Big Schools, Big Wreck, BIG ADRENALIN!!
Often seen are Turtles, Sea Snakes, Giant Trevally, Queensland gropers, Eagle Rays, Manta Rays, Sharks, thousands of tropical fish and in the cooler months, Humpback Whales. This is a dive no Scuba diver should miss!
You can board the vessel from either Townsville or Magnetic Island, its your choice!
We will not be running Day Trips to the Yongala Wreck over the 21st March – 31st March 2017 due to routine maintenance being conducted on our vessel. This is our quiet period and we need to get the boat ready for another year of action! We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you. Please contact us for alternatives.
The S.S. Yongala Wreck – Day Trip
Our Day Trip includes 2 Dives on the Yongala Wreck. Make the most of this phenomenal dive site with a guided dive for just a few dollars more.
You can board from either Breakwater Marina, just off the Strand in Townsville or from Magnetic Island at the Ferry Terminal.
Your Day Includes:
- Full day trip including 2 certified dives on the spectacular Yongala Wreck
- Tanks and weights
- Morning and afternoon tea
- Tropical lunch
- Iced water, cordial, tea and coffee throughout the day
- EMC’s (Environmental Management Charges) and site mooring fees
- Site briefings
- Environmental education
- Experienced, Professional, Fun and Safe crew with a passion for the marine environment
- Must hold a Minimum of Open Water Diver
- Must have a Minimum of 6 Logged Open Water Dives
- If you have less than 15 logged dives you must dive with a guide
Scheduled departures: Wednesday and Saturday.
(Please note that all our trips are subject to passenger numbers and weather conditions)
Sample Yongala Day Trip Schedule
07:00 Townsville passengers meet at the Townsville Breakwater Marina, located on the fuelling wharf at the end of Mariners Drive
07:25 Depart Townsville
07:50 Passengers board from Nelly Bay, Magnetic Island
09:00 Morning tea
09:50 Yongala Wreck site briefings
10:20 Guided divers brief
11:00 Arrive at the Yongala Wreck Site
11:15 Dive 1
13:00 Dive 2
14:00 Depart site for Nelly Bay
15:00 Afternoon Tea
16:45 Arrive and disembark passengers at Nelly Bay, Magnetic Island
17:10 Arrive and disembark at Townsville Breakwater Marina
Please note that the above schedule is as a guide only, actual times on the day may vary.
- $264.00 Certified Diver with Tanks and Weights only.
- $304.00 Certified Diver with Full equipment hire.
- Guided Dive $10 (compulsory for divers with less than 15 logged)
- PADI Adventure Dives $25 per dive
- Enriched Air Nitrox $50 for two tanks (must be Nitrox certified)
- Camera hire $65 (includes SD card, yours to keep)
This is a dive you do not want to miss!
So book with us at Adrenalin Dive and explore Australia’s BEST dive site!