Want to dive one of the Top 5 Wreck Dives in the world?
Then let us introduce you to the S.S. Yongala Wreck! Situated in the World Heritage listed Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, it is the only large reef structure in the region, drawing a huge variety of marine life earning infamy as Australia’s BEST dive site. Everything on this wreck is big – Big Fish, Big Schools, BIG ADRENALIN!!
The 110m S.S. Yongala sank during a cyclone on March 23rd 1911, with the loss of all 122 people aboard. It was not until 1958 that the wreck was first dived and due to its remote location it has remained mostly untouched. The wreck begins 15m below the surface and extends to 29m. Protected under the Historic Shipwreck Act (1976), the artifacts, marine life and variety of corals that cover the wreck are second to none, Red Bull names it the best wreck for sea life.
Often seen are Turtles, Sea Snakes, Giant Trevally, Queensland Gropers, Eagle Rays, Manta Rays, Sharks, thousands of Tropical fish and in the cooler months, even Humpback Whales. Diving the Yongala is a bucket list trip no scuba diver should miss!
You can visit the Yongala on a Day Trip or a Liveaboard, your choice!
The S.S. Yongala Wreck – Day Trip
Visit the SS Yongala on Wednesdays or Saturdays on our Day Trip, including 2 Dives on the Wreck, lunch and snacks. Make the most of this phenomenal dive site with a knowledgeable guide and learn about its history and some of the people who perished when it sank in a tropical cyclone.
You can board from either Townsville, Breakwater Marina, or from Magnetic Island at the Nelly Bay Ferry Terminal.
Your Day Includes:
- Full day trip including 2 certified dives on the spectacular Yongala Wreck
- Tanks and weights
- Morning and afternoon tea
- Tropical lunch
- Iced water, cordial, tea and coffee throughout the day
- EMC’s (Environmental Management Charges) and site mooring fees
- Site briefings
- Environmental education
- Experienced, Professional, Fun and Safe crew with a passion for the marine environment
Townsville Boarding: 7:00am at the Townsville Breakwater Marina Fuel Wharf and departs by 7:30am.
Magnetic Island Boarding: 7:50am at the Nelly Bay Ferry Terminal.
Sample Yongala Dive Day Trip Schedule
07:00 Townsville passengers meet at the Townsville Breakwater Marina, located on the fuelling wharf at the end of Mariners Drive
07:25 Depart Townsville
07:50 Magnetic Island passengers board from Nelly Bay ferry terminal
09:00 Morning tea
09:50 Yongala Wreck site briefings
10:20 Guided divers brief
11:00 Arrive at the Yongala Wreck Site
11:15 Dive 1
13:00 Dive 2
14:00 Depart site for Nelly Bay
15:00 Afternoon Tea
16:50 Arrive and disembark passengers at Nelly Bay, Magnetic Island
17:10 Arrive and disembark at Townsville Breakwater Marina
Please note that the above schedule is as a guide only, actual times on the day may vary.
- $289.00 Certified Diver with Tanks and Weights only.
- $329.00 Certified Diver with Full equipment hire.
- Must hold a Minimum of Open Water Diver
- Must have a Minimum of 6 Logged Open Water Dives
- If you have less than 15 logged dives you must dive with a guide
Scheduled departures: Wednesdays and Saturdays.
(All our trips are subject to passenger numbers and weather conditions. Confirmation is made the afternoon prior to departure).
- Guided Dive $10 (compulsory for divers with less than 15 logged)
- PADI Adventure Dives $25 per dive
- Enriched Air Nitrox $50 for two tanks (must be Nitrox certified or training)
- Camera hire $65 (includes SD card, yours to keep)
This is a dive you do not want to miss!
So book with us at Adrenalin Dive and explore Australia’s BEST dive site!