Want to dive one of the Top 5 Wreck Dives in the world?
Then let us introduce you to the S.S. Yongala Wreck! Situated in the World Heritage listed Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, it is the only large reef structure in the region, drawing a huge variety of marine life earning infamy as Australia’s BEST dive site. Everything on this wreck is big – Big Fish, Big Schools, BIG ADRENALIN!!
The 110m S.S. Yongala sank during a cyclone on March 23rd 1911, with the loss of all 122 people aboard. It was not until 1958 that the wreck was first dived and due to its remote location it has remained mostly untouched. The wreck begins 15m below the surface and extends to 29m. Protected under the Historic Shipwreck Act (1976), the artifacts, marine life and variety of corals that cover the wreck are second to none, Red Bull names it the best wreck for sea life.
Often seen are Turtles, Sea Snakes, Giant Trevally, Queensland Gropers, Eagle Rays, Manta Rays, Sharks, thousands of Tropical fish and in the cooler months, even Humpback Whales. Diving the Yongala is a bucket list trip no scuba diver should miss!
You can visit the Yongala on a Day Trip or a Liveaboard, your choice!
The S.S. Yongala Wreck – Day Trip
Visit the SS Yongala on Wednesdays or Saturdays on our Day Trip, including 2 Dives on the Wreck. Make the most of this phenomenal dive site with a knowledgeable guide and learn about its history and some of the people who perished when it sank in a tropical cyclone.
You can board from either Townsville, Breakwater Marina, or from Magnetic Island at the Nelly Bay Ferry Terminal.
Your Day Includes:
- Full day trip including 2 certified dives on the spectacular Yongala Wreck
- full dive gear hire
- Morning Tea, Buffett Style Lunch and Afternoon Tea
- Iced water, cordial, tea and coffee throughout the day
- Mooring fees
- Historical Site briefing to enhance your experience
- Environmental education
- Experienced, Professional, Fun and Safe crew with a passion for the marine environment
Townsville Boarding: 7:00am at the Townsville Breakwater Marina Fuel Wharf and departs by 7:30am.
Magnetic Island Boarding: 7:50am at the Nelly Bay Ferry Terminal.
Sample Yongala Dive Day Trip Schedule
07:00 Townsville passengers meet at the Townsville Breakwater Marina, located on the fuelling wharf at the end of Mariners Drive
07:25 Depart Townsville
07:50 Magnetic Island passengers board from Nelly Bay ferry terminal
09:00 Morning tea
09:50 Yongala Wreck site briefings
10:20 Guided divers brief
11:00 Arrive at the Yongala Wreck Site
11:15 Dive 1
13:00 Dive 2
14:00 Depart site for Nelly Bay
15:00 Afternoon Tea
16:50 Arrive and disembark passengers at Nelly Bay, Magnetic Island
17:10 Arrive and disembark at Townsville Breakwater Marina
Please note that the above schedule is as a guide only, actual times on the day may vary.
**Cold Water, Cordial, Coffee, Tea, Milo is all provided throughout the trip
Terms and conditions apply. You can find our T&Cs here.
- Morning Tea Fruit platter and assorted biscuits
- Lunch Buffet-style lunch spread with chicken, ham, salami, cheese, salads, assorted condiments, bread, peanut butter and vegemite
- Afternoon Tea Fruit platter, cheese, crackers and assorted biscuits
- $390.00 Certified Diver with Full equipment hire.
- $335.00 Certified Diver needing tanks and weights only – use OWNGEARDSCT on check out.
- Must hold a Minimum of Open Water Diver.
- Must have a Minimum of 6 Logged Open Water Dives
- If you have less than 15 logged dives you must dive with a guide.
Scheduled departures: Wednesdays and Saturdays.
(All our trips are subject to weather conditions and passenger numbers. Confirmation is made the afternoon prior to departure).
- $20.00 per guided dive (compulsory with less then 15 dives logged).
- $35.00 per PADI Training Dive (PADI Adventure Dive DEEP compulsory for Open Water Divers with no deep dive experience).
- $70.00 for two Enriched Air Nitrox fills.
- form $65.00 Camera hire (includes SD card, yours to keep).
This is a dive you do not want to miss!
So book with us at Adrenalin Dive and explore Australia’s BEST dive site!
Our recent posts
📍 Townsville, North Queensland | AUS
Snorkel or dive on the Great Barrier Reef
⚓️ Dive the S.S Yongala shipwreck
👇🏽 Book with us today