Great Barrier Reef - Day Trip
The Great Barrier Reef is the world’s largest reef system composed of over 2,900 individual reefs and 900 islands stretching for over 2,600 kilometers. Located in the Coral Sea, off the coast of Queensland in north-east Australia. The reef supports a wide diversity of life, and was selected as a World Heritage Site in 1981.
The Central Section of the Great Barrier Reef, off shore from Townsville, is a little further off the Queensland Coast than other sections and as a result has some of the best sites of the whole Great Barrier Reef. Experience it for yourself on board our 14m custom built vessel M.V. Adrenalin designed with your comfort in mind, with fully shaded areas, sun deck, stabilizers, toilet, shower, along with easy access in & out of the water.
Our preferred reef for day trips is Lodestone Reef. We have chosen this reef for its diversity of sites, great coral cover, fish life and reasonable protection. We have a number of sites around this reef and will choose the best site on the day. You could visit Lodestone Reef dozens of times and be surprised every time. Some sites feature large coral bommies with white coral sand sea floors, others have large gutters running through the coral occupied by hundreds of reef fish, and colorful coral walls occupied by innumerable marine animals in crystal clear water.
Depths at Lodestone range from 1 metre to 20 metres making it ideal for snorkelers, beginner and experienced divers. Big schools of trevally and bait fish are common as well as a myriad of colourful reef fish including Parrot fish, Maori wrasse, Clown fish, Angel fish, Turtles, Stingrays, White tip and Black tip reef sharks often sighted.
A visit to Lodestone Reef with Adrenalin Snorkel & Dive is a perfect way to enjoy snorkeling, introductory scuba dives or certified dives. Both snorkelers and divers will be exhilarated witnessing the spectacular marine life that Lodestone has to offer whilst being immersed in tropical crystal clear water.
You can board the vessel from either Townsville or Magnetic Island, it’s your choice!
Your Day Includes:
- Full day trip to the Great Barrier Reef
- Learning about the reef eco system
- Morning and afternoon tea
- Tropical lunch
- Iced water, cordial, tea and coffee throughout the day
- Demonstrations and instructions on snorkeling techniques
- All snorkeling equipment (mask, snorkel, fins and full length suit)
- All EMC’s (Environmental Management Charges) and Mooring fees
- Experienced, Professional, Fun and Safe crew with a passion for the marine environment
- Experience the World Heritage listed Great Barrier Reef
Dive The Reef
Certified divers can enjoy 2 dives on all of our day trips to the reef. You can dive with one of our experienced dive guides or explore the reef with just yourself and your buddy.
Try Scuba Diving with one of our experienced PADI Diving Instructors. You will be given a thorough safety briefing, complete a quick quiz, practice a few basic skills in shallow water, then it’s off to explore the wonders of Great Barrier Reef under the close supervision of your instructor. You can say “I dived the Great Barrier Reef!”
Introductory Diving Prerequisites:
- Capable swimming ability
- Minimum age of 12 years
- Basic medical questionnaire – Are you fit to do an Introductory SCUBA dive? Click here to view PADI’s Medical Questionnaire.
Day Trips to the Great Barrier Reef depart on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday. During high season, we also operate on Mondays!
Due to our small numbers of passengers it is advised to book early.
(Please note that all our trips are subject to passenger numbers and weather conditions. Confirmation is made the afternoon prior to departure).
Sample Great Barrier Reef Trip Schedule:
07:00 Townsville passengers meet at the Townsville Breakwater Marina, located on the fueling wharf at the end of Mariners Drive
07:25 Depart Townsville
07:50 Passengers board from Nelly Bay, Magnetic Island
09:00 Morning tea
09:45 Great Barrier Reef site briefings
10:00 Arrive at Great Barrier Reef – Lodestone Reef Site
10:20 Dive 1 / Snorkel 1
13:00 Dive 2 / Snorkel 2
14:00 Depart site for Nelly Bay
15:00 Afternoon Tea
16:00 Arrive and disembark passengers at Nelly Bay, Magnetic Island
16:30 Arrive and disembark at Townsville Breakwater Marina
Please note that the above schedule is as a guide only, actual times on the day may vary.
- $249.00 Adult Snorkeler
- $199.00 Child Snorkeler
- $289.00 Certified Diver with Tanks and Weights only.
- $329.00 Certified Diver with Full equipment hire.
- $329.00 1 x Introductory Dive and Snorkelling.
- $369.00 2 x Introductory Dives.
- Guided Dive $10 (compulsory for divers with less than 10 logged)
- PADI Adventure Dives $25 per dive
- Enriched Air Nitrox $50 for two tanks (must be Nitrox certified)
- Camera Hire $65 (includes SD card, yours to keep)